Very unnaturally, my computer was disconnecting from the internet automatically again and again since yesterday. I have vista ultimate in my system and I have never had this problem before. So, I was searching on the internet for how to solve this problem but I was disappointed at first. But finally I came to this solution. However, I’m sure that solution only applies to problems which occur in the following manner.
- Connection to the internet is lost after a certain period of time.
- Connection to your network is also disconnected.
- There is no problem with the modem or anything and the internet is working properly in other OS like windows XP.
- The disconnection problem is gone for a while after a restart or a standby mode but is disconnected shortly after that.
- There is no problem with the hardware or the Internet service provider.
How to solve this Problem?
The problem is because the Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) service is on and there’s a bug in the windows vista you are using. However, this problem has been removed in the latest service pack 1. So, you can follow one of the following steps:
- TURNING OFF INTERNET CONNECTION SHARING (ICS) SERVICE: To turn off this service, go to START->RUN and type “services.msc” without the codes and press enter. Then in the services column, find Internet Connection Service and right click on it and choose “Properties”. In the Startup type option, choose “Disable”.
- DOWNLOAD SERVICE PACK 1: This problem will be solved by downloading the latest version of service pack 1 for windows vista. You can download the latest Service Pack 1 here.
- DOWNLOAD HOTFIX: Windows has released a hotfix for the problem and is available here.